Friday, November 7, 2008

Buddha

The Buddha was wise and compassionate.
The earliest representation of the Buddha was created by artists of Classical Greek. Hence, the first recorded images of the Buddha looked like Greek. As Buddhism spread to regions far and wide, the image of the Buddha was continuously modified according to the look and the culture of the local people.
As no Buddha image truly resembles the real Buddha, my preference is a Buddha image of symbolic representation.

This is my personal Buddha image.
The overall form resembles a figure in seated meditation.
The dotted circle at the top represents wisdom.
The heart shape at the bottom represents compassion.
By adopting this easy to visualize image, I can frequently remind myself of these two important qualities.


2 comments:

steve said...

Gorgeous tribute. Last night I rented "ten Questions for the Dalai Lama" - something I think everyone needs to watch.

eyecontact said...

Peaceful, powerful meditation!